BREAST IMPLANTS ORANGE COUNTY SHAPES AND SIZES
Recent advances in breast implant technology have led to a greater number of implant shape and size options for patients undergoing breast augmentation, revision, or reconstructive surgery. Having a wide selection of breast implants to choose from enables patients to better customize their breast surgery to fulfill their specific aesthetic goals; however, it can also make the implant selection process seem overwhelming at times.
At our plastic surgery practice, Dr. Farbod Esmailian, M.D., is a double board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast implants in Orange County, and will work closely with you to guide you through the process of choosing your implant type. Dr. Esmailian will take the time to ensure that you are fully informed about all of your implant options, and will help you to select the optimal breast implants to fulfill your surgical goals.
BREAST IMPLANT SHAPES
Breast implants fall under two general shape categories:
- Round: Round implants are the more traditional choice for breast augmentation surgery, with round bases that rest against the chest, and project symmetrically from the body. Should the round implant rotate or shift within its pocket, there would not be a visibly discernible effect. Round implants are offered in a variety of sizes, textures, profiles, and materials, including:
- Silicone or Saline
- Textured or Smooth: one benefit of round implants is that they can have a smooth implant shell, making them less prone to visible rippling.
- Variety of sizes: (120cc-850cc)
- Variety of profiles (moderate to ultra-high): an implant’s profile indicates the distance the implant will project from the body. Higher profile implants produce more prominent silhouettes than lower profile implants.
- Anatomical (“teardrop,” “contoured,” “gummy bear”, “form stable”): Anatomical implants are considered to more accurately resemble the shape of a natural breast, because they are thinner at the top and gently slope to a fuller projection at the bottom of the implant, with the majority of the implant volume located at the base of the implant. However, because of the potential for the anatomical implant to turn or shift in the pocket, these implants are only offered with a textured surface, in order to keep the implant situated in the appropriate position. Anatomical implants are offered in either saline or silicone material, and in a variety of sizes (120-850cc) and shapes (tall vs wide oval shapes).
Successfully selecting the shape of your breast implants requires a thorough consultation and discussion of your surgical goals, as well as a detailed examination of your body type and physical health, in order to determine whether a round or anatomical implant would be most appropriate for you. Dr. Esmailian is highly experienced working with both round and anatomically-shaped implants, and will spend as much time as is necessary to ensure that you are 100% satisfied with your implant shape selection.
BREAST IMPLANT SIZES
One of the most common reasons patients seek out breast revision surgery is dissatisfaction with the size of the original breast implants. Undergoing revisionary breast surgery to increase or decrease the size of your initial implants can be costly and time-consuming, which is why selecting the size of your original implants is such a critically important decision.
Implant size is measured in terms of cubic centimeters (cc’s) rather than traditional bra cup measurements. CC’s are the metric volume measurement utilized to define the capacity of a breast implant, with one cubic centimeter being equal to one milliliter. Your original breast size, body frame, and personal aesthetic preferences, are the primary factors that will influence your implant size decision.
At Dr. Esmailian’s office, we strive to take the stress out of selecting the size of your breast implants. We offer patients looking to receive breast implants in Orange County a variety of ways to ‘try out’ different size implants, so that you are totally comfortable with your size selection, and excited for your breast enhancement surgery.
Dr. Esmailian is a skillful and compassionate surgeon, who is committed to helping his patients make truly informed decisions about their surgery. During your initial consultation at with Dr. Esmailian will take the time to thoroughly discuss all of your breast implant options, helping you to select the perfect size and shape to fulfill your aesthetic goals.
If you would like more information about implant shapes and sizes, please contact us 562.430.7373. We are happy to answer any and all of your questions, and to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Esmailian. Serving Los Alamitos, Torrance, Long Beach, Newport Beach and other surrounding Orange County, CA areas.